The castle of Aghia Mavra: The caste of Aghia Mavra is located at the entrance of the island. It is one of the most imposing medieval buildings of Greece, representing the fortification art of this period. It was built around 1300 from a Frank leader, Ioannis Orsini, when he took Lefkada as a wedding gift for his wedding with the daughter of Epirus Bishop Nikiforos A.
The castle was protecting the capital of the island, as the most important defensive armoring against Pirates and other enemies, from the first decade of 14th century since 1684. In 1487, it was overtaken by Turks, who built a large arch shaped bridge with 360 rooms, which crossed the lagoon from the coast to Kalkani, resting the pipes of a water tower. This project was destroyed by the earthquakes. Some ruins are still preserved in the lagoon.
In the valley of Nydri, the area which reaches the feet of Skaros Mountain to Magemenos place of Nikiana has been declared an archaeological place.
It consists of the tombs of Pro Hellenic period at Steno’s place, case shaped and tile roofed graves and construction ruins in the area of Nydri Valley to the feet of Skaros and Amali’s mountains and in the areas of Paliokatounas, Koloni and the settlement of Perigiali.
Also, to the top of Poros village, the ruins of a tower are preserved, which had been possibly a farmhouse, together with the ruins of an ancient oil press, dated around 4th century b.c.
These ruins were discovered during the excavations of the famous archaeologist Wilhelm Dorpfeld.
The German archaelogist Wilhelm Dorpfeld proposed the theory that the island of Nydri, off the southeast coast of Lefkada was the real historical Ithaca, home of Odysseus. He adored Lefkada and his wish was to be buried here. His tomb is located at the edge of the hill of Vlichos peninsula, over the scenic church of Aghias Kiriakis.
The area of the Apollonia’s Municipality had been inhabited at the very early days, as it is proved from some limited findings of Paleolithic and Neolithic period (3.500 bc) which were discovered from the excavations of Dorpfeld in the “pigcave” of Evgiros and exhibited on the Archaeological Museum of Lefkada.
In the valley of Vassiliki, the Archaelogical Service has discoverd ancient archaeological ruins (ruins of towers) belong probably, to an ancient town and to the places of Marmara, Pyrgi, Klismatia, Marantochori.
To the Cape of Doukato or Lefkata are located, construction ruins and architectural parts Apollon Lefkata’s temple. This sanctuary was widely famous in the ancient world.
Every year, pan Hellenic festivals have been taking place to the honor of Apollon, who was the protector of the marines and the doctor of body and soul.
For this reason, ancients believed that, if you jump off the rocks, your soul would get free from the weight of passions and sins. In this place, the female poet Sappho allegedly leapt to her death from the 30 meters high cliffs.
Archaeological and folkloric museums
The Lefkada Archaeological Museum: is housed in the cultural center of the Borough of Lefkada (A. Sikelianou & N. Svoronou street). The findings exhibited cover a period of time, beginning in the middle of the Paleolithic times (200.000 – 35.000 π.Χ.) and reaching the later Roman times. In a separate room in the museum, the findings of German archaeologist Willhelm Dairpfeld are exhibited. He is the one who developed the theory that Lefkada is Homer’s Ithaca. The museum exhibits tools, ceramic and copper jewellery and gems of ancient tombs, mostly from the Ancient city of Nirikos, Nydri, Hoirospilia, Evgiros and the cave in Fryni.
Open: Daily except for Mondays, 08:30-14:30.
Admission: General € 2, student € 1.
For further informations, call (+30) 2645021635.
The Folkloric Museum of the Musicl and Literature Group “Orpheus” “Pantazis Kontomixis”: It is housed in the old town of Lefkada (Stefanistsi 2, close to the central square). Was founded in 1937, and includes many significant and rare exhibits, a rich collection of objects from the everyday life and business of the Lefkadite people.
Open: April-October, daily except for Mondays, 10:00-13:00 and 19:00-22:00.
November-March, Sundays 11:00-13:30.
Admission: General € 2, free for seniors & young children.
For further informations and for organised school or other educational visits call (+30) 2645022778 during museum working hours and days, and Ms Sklirou (+30) 2645022778 or Ms Roussou (+30) 2645022502 during office hours.
The Ecclesiastic Museum of the Faneromeni Convent: at the convent of Faneromeni, outside the village of Fryni, 4 kilometers from the city of Lefkada, the museum of Ecclesiastic Art is about to open, exhibiting objects from temples and convents of the island, covering a period of time since the second Turkish occupation (1479-1684) up to the incorporation of the island to the Greek State in 1864. In newly constructed two story building located in the grounds of the Holy Convent, specially designed rooms are going to host a variety of objects of ecclesiastic art. The main bulk of the exhibits comprise of paintings of Eptanese and Lefkadite artists, mainly post Byzantine portable icons and parts of chancel screens (magisterial icons, epistyles, door panels). Of great interest are the different ecclesiastical manuscripts and old prints from the convents library, with rare publications by Greek and foreign printers of the pro revolution and revolution years. Significant are the silver works exhibited, mainly crosses, grails, candelabra, trays and icon frames and gospel covers. Finally a variety of canonicals and elements of pontifical uniforms dated from the 18th and 19th century.
Open: April-September, Monday-Saturday 09:00-13:00 and 18:00-20:00.
For further informations, call (+30) 2645021105, (+30) 2645021305.
The Kontomichio Folkrorik Museum of the Sfakiotes in Kavalos village. It was created by the ex Borough of Sfakiotes and is open to the public since the summer of 2004. It is housed in the old building of the Kavalos elementary school, in a place full of pine trees. The museum refers to tools and equipment, their use and meaning to the social evolution during the time they were created and the social and economic framework in which the Lefkadite people worked during the pro industrial times. The museum’s exhibits are:
Variety of tools used in different crafts, such as shoemaker, farmer, carpenter, barber, builder, screen maker and woodcutter.
Recreation of areas within the Lefkadite home (kitchen, oven)
Collection of old photographs
Collection of woven material and traditional dress
Open: August-January, daily 9:00 to 13:30 and 18:00 to 21:00.
The Folkloric Museum of Lefkadite Canvas Works ”Maria koutsohero”, in Karya village: In this small private museum in Karya Village, among the traditional exhibit, the visitor may discover the life and character, the persistence, patience and genius of the Lefkadite mountain people who lived under rough conditions and managed to create a folkloric culture.
Open: April-November, daily 09:00-21:00.
Admission: General € 2.5
For further informations, call (+30) 2645041590.
The Phonograph Museum: Near the old city of Lefkada (12 Kalkani st.) a small private museum exists, exhibiting phonographs, records, rare objects of use, decorative instruments, boxes, seals, currency and post cards of the time.
Open: March-October, daily 10:00-14:00 and 19:00-00:00.
For further informations, call (+30) 2645021088.